Traditional Valentine's gifts can be fairly pricey. In order to save money, check out these tips for your Valentine's Day purchases.
1. Flowers Don't buy flowers from a flower shop on their busiest day of the year to be delivered to your significant other. Instead, buy flowers from your local grocer, arrange in a vase, decorate with a bow, and deliver the flowers yourself.
2. Chocolates Instead of buying an expensive box of chocolates, buy your love's favorite candy bar and wrap it in a pretty bow.
3. Homemade Desserts Try making some homemade Valentine's treats and desserts, such as chocolate covered strawberries. These types of goodies are easy to make and are a lot less expensive than traditional boxed chocolates.
4. Cards Sure, it's easier to buy a card from the store, but homemade cards are more endearing and are a great way to save money while still being romantic. Write or copy a poem, or get your kids involved for a fun Valentine's craft.
5. Jewelry Skip on the diamonds and go for colored gems, such as rubies or emeralds or even moissanite stones, if you want to save money on jewelry. Check out eBay and pawn shops to find the best deals.
Casey Slide is a contributor for Money Crashers Personal Finance where she discusses lifestyle and money topics.